Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/18] Introduce rust: In xdiff

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2025 13:44:27 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Ezekiel Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This is a continuation of
>> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/,
>> but I am removing the RFC label.
>
> Continuation meaning that these patches build on top of that earlier
> 15-patch series?
>
>> Suggestions on changes that I could make to this series is appreciated.
>>
>> Changes in v2: High level overview:
>>
>>  * patch 1: cleanup: rename variables that collide with Rust primitive type
>>    names
>>  * patches 2-4: Makefile now produces libgit.a correctly
>>  * patches 5,6: Documentation from Brian and Patrick
>>  * patches 7,8: Introduce Rust
>>  * patches 9-11: github workflows
>>  * patches 12-14: introduce crates build-helper, and cbindgen
>>  * patches 15-18: varint test balloon
>>
>> I would like feed back in two categories: big changes, and little changes.
>
> This seems to also mix in some patches from Patrick's series that
> are already in flight. ...
> ...  Having duplicate commits that happen to do
> the same thing in multiple branches "git" the tool can handle just
> fine, but that certainly is a bad communication among developers
> that we do not want to particularly encourage.

This seems to be even more confusing than I thought.  The text in
the breaking changes document may be based on Patrick's patch, but
it says something different from any of the five iterations of the
original series.  Since RFC v2 on Sep 5th [*], the introduction
schedule described there had multiple steps before Git 3.0 but the
text we see in this series plans to start Rust "on" by default and
goes directly to Git 3.0 without any other intermediate steps, for
example.  How was [v2 06/18], which attributes authorship to
Patrick, came into this shape?  Is this his update over the [v5 7/9]
of his series sent outside the mailing list, or did you and Patrick
working together to arrive at this updated text?

[References]

* Patrick's rust-balloon series (various iterations)

https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/