Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] apply: --intent-to-add should imply --index

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 09:31:56 -0700

"Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Johannes Altmanninger submitted patch v3 titled "apply: --intent-to-add
>> should imply --index" to fix this issue.
>>
>> Is this fix merged? If so, which Git version includes this fix.
>
> I can’t find any commits by Johannes Altmanninger that addresses this.
> I also can’t find any commits that start with `apply: --intent-to-add`.

The documentation says this:

    --intent-to-add::
            When applying the patch only to the working tree, mark new
            files to be added to the index later (see `--intent-to-add`
            option in linkgit:git-add[1]). This option is ignored unless
            running in a Git repository and `--index` is not specified.
            Note that `--index` could be implied by other options such
            as `--cached` or `--3way`.

It is clear that whoever wrote it understands that for this option
to be effective, the patch needs to affect the index, and one way to
do so is for the user to pass `--index`.  But at the same time, that
is not the only option that makes the command touch the index (e.g.,
`--cached` does, too), and it would make it behave incorrectly if a
patch automatically pretends that `--index` was given when this
option was given.

I can't find the patch either, but given the above documentation, is
it even still relevant?

Thanks.