Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] Introduce a "promisor-remote" capability

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 09:34:59 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I guess it helps to address part of the problem. I'm not sure whether my
> understanding is aligned with Chris' intention, but I could certainly
> see that at some point in time we start to advertise promisor remote
> URLs that use different transport helpers to fetch objects. This would
> allow hosting providers to offload objects to e.g. blob storage or
> somesuch thing and the client would know how to fetch them.
>
> But there are still a couple of pieces missing in the bigger puzzle:
> ...
> I think chipping away the problems one by one is fine. But it would be
> nice to draw something like a "big picture" of where we eventually want
> to end up at and how all the parts connect with each other to form a
> viable native replacement for Git LFS.

Yes, thanks for stating this a lot more clearly than I said in the
reviews so far.

> Also Cc'ing brian, who likely has a thing or two to say about this :)