Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] ci: update Perforce version to r23.2

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 09:10:54 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think that is a good idea. If we stop installing p4, the result
> is that _nobody_ will ever run the tests at all. The tests, and by
> extension git-p4 itself, would start to bitrot and we wouldn't notice
> any kind of regressions at all anymore.
>
> If we want to consider going down that route, I'd rather say we should
> do it all or nothing: either we rip out git-p4 and the tests, or we
> leave both of them in. I couldn't care less about git-p4 itself, so I
> would not mind ripping it out altogether. But there may be users of this
> script out there that do care, so I don't want to make that decision
> unilaterally.

Yup, I was actually interpreting Dscho's message as advocating the
removal of "git p4".  Such a move would certainly force people who
do care about it to come out.  It is up to them to volunteer to help
maintaining "git p4".

This may be a good example to discuss "support policy" not on niche
platforms but on niche features (Emily Cc'ed).

Thanks.