Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Mar 2024, #05; Tue, 19)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 09:11:03 -0700

"Brian Lyles" <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  "cherry-pick" told to keep redundant commits needs to be allowed to
>>  create empty commits to do its job, but it required the user to
>>  give the --allow-empty option, which was unnecessary.  Its UI has
>>  also been tweaked a bit.
>
> Note that the description here is a little out-of-date; we're no longer
> changing the relationship between --allow-empty and
> --keep-redundant-commits (and the user didn't have to manually supply
> --allow-empty previously). I'd summarize this as:
>
> 	Allow git-cherry-pick(1) to automatically drop redundant commits via
> 	a new `--empty` option, similar to the `--empty` options for
> 	git-rebase(1) and git-am(1). Includes a soft deprecation of
> 	`--keep-redundant-commits` as well as some related docs changes and
> 	sequencer code cleanup.

Very much appreciated.  I wonder if we can have a better workflow to
do this, like perhaps contributors write a paragraph in the cover
letter with the expectation that it will be used in the What's
cooking report (which will become an entry in the Release Notes when
the topic gets included in a release)?

> You can expect a v4 reroll tonight to address a few remaining comments.
> The only thing I haven't heard back on is this change [1] to the docs
> for the new `--empty` option, but I'm confident enough in my proposed
> alternative there that I'm comfortable rerolling even if I don't hear
> back today.
>
> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/CAHPHrSfiMbU55K2=[email-masked]/

I added a few folks who were in the review discussion to Cc: of this
message.

Thanks.