Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] send-email: prompt-dependent exit codes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 09:08:56 -0700

Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:

> i think it's acceptable to expect them to adjust to the (from
> their POV) false positives,...

You are not in the position to unilaterally declare "it isn't really
worth it" or "it's acceptable to expect", though.  We know at least
one person want the program to signal failure when interactively
aborted.  We know that all other current users did not complain that
the program did not signal failure when they interactively aborted,
they may be they did not care enough, or they may be they are happy.
You do not know the population and neither do I, but that is not the
point.  This behaviour change is, even among Git developers, not a
bugfix but is a new feature that not everybody would want to be
subjected to.  It always is the safest to make such a backward
incompatible change a strictly opt-in feature.

>>Thanks.  Will queue but expect at least some documentation updates.
>>
> do you want a followup, or a v4 to replace the commit?

Replace it.  We do not want to do "oops that was lacking, here is an
incremental update" for anything that is not in 'next'.

Thanks.