Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH] merge: use reverse_commit_list() for list reversal

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 11:07:25 -0800

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Also, gitgitgadget #1156 was opened because of my suggestion to do
> this as a "leftoverbit", i.e. I was suggesting it as a micro-project
> to new people.  I should have checked at the time that it was a valid
> micro-project, but neglected to do so.  You merely came along and
> started implementing what was suggested.
>
> Anyway, the point of the GSoC microprojects are to make sure you are
> familiar with how to format and submit patches to the mailing list and
> respond; having the code you contribute in a microproject be accepted
> is not required, just a bonus.  And you clearly managed to send the
> patch to the list, had a correctly formatted commit message (short
> summary with area and correct lack of capitalization, good
> descriptions, signed-off-by), got the additional notes for reviewers
> (very helpful!) in the correct spot, etc., so I still see this as a
> successful microproject for you.  I apologize for not doing my due
> diligence when I suggested it, and for us not catching that it should
> have been closed when someone implemented the valid half of the
> suggestion last year.

One possible action item for us may be to rename or give comment to
highlight the in-place destructive nature of the function to make it
easier for developers to use (or avoid misusing) it.