Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] ci(main): upgrade actions/checkout to v3

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 08:28:17 +0900

"Oscar Dominguez via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Oscar Dominguez <[email-masked]>
>
> To be up to date with actions/checkout opens the door to use the latest
> features if necessary and get the latest security patches.
>
> This also avoids a couple of deprecation warnings in the CI runs.
>
> Note: The `actions/checkout` Action has been known to be broken in i686
> containers as of v2, therefore we keep forcing it to v1 there. See
> actions/runner#2115 for more details.
>
> Signed-off-by: Oscar Dominguez <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> ---

I do not know about Johannes, but the latter two S-o-b by others are
very questionable, as this is the first time I see this iteration of
the patch.  The chain of S-o-b is used to record that the author
handed the patch to somebody else who forwarded it to another
(i.e. the order of custody), and the above makes it look as if I
picked this iteration of your patch up, passed it to Johannes, and
he gave it to the mailing list readers with this message.

If you wanted to say "Input from Johannes helped me greatly while I
polished the earlier work to produce this version", it is more
appropriate to end the proposed log message with:

	Helped-by: Johannes Schindelin <...>
	Signed-off-by: Oscar Dominguez <...>

in chronological order.

In any case, I've been disturbed by the "Node 12 is going away, use
the one that works with Node 16" warning at GitHub CI for the past
few weeks and it is very welcome to see this topic moving forward.

Thanks for working on it.