Subject: Re: [PATCH] index-format.txt: remove outdated list of supported extensions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:24:24 -0700

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> The first section of 'Documentation/technical/index-format.txt'
> mentions that "Git currently supports cache tree and resolve undo
> extensions", but then goes on, and in the "Extensions" section
> describes not only these two, but six other extensions [1].
>
> Remove this sentence, as it's misleading about the status of all those
> other extensions.
>
> Alternatively we could keep that sentence and update the list of
> extensions, but that might well lead to a recurring issue, because
> apparently this list is never updated when a new index extension is
> added.

Yup, I tend to agree that the sentence does not add much being here
and insisting that the list must be kept up to date creates more
work of dubious value.  If we didn't support any extensions, we
wouldn't be talking about them in this section, so saying that we
support some and we will list them later does not add much value,
either.

> [1] Split index, untracked cache, FS monitor cache, end of index
>     entry, index entry offset table and sparse directory entries.
>
> Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/technical/index-format.txt | 2 --
>  1 file changed, 2 deletions(-)

Thanks, will queue.