Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] rebase: update branches in multi-part topic

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 14:23:41 -0700

Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree. I could have really used this while juggling all of the
> parts of FSMonitor recently.  And yes, it should write the updates
> at the bottom in case of an abort.
>
> Should this take a branch pattern/regex to limit the set of branches
> that are updated (or offered to be updated)?  For example, if I have
> an intermediate commit in the series that has 2 branch names pointing
> at it, do we want to offer to update both of them or only the one
> that matches some pattern related to the tip?  Or is it sufficient to
> just enumerate them at the bottom of the todo list and let the user
> delete the lines they don't want?

The latter sounds sufficient (starting from something simpler should
work well in this case).

> Should we actually do the update-ref's or should we write a script
> that lets the user do it later?  The latter would let us also write
> out the commands to force update the remote refs if that would be
> helpful.

Aren't we writing "a script" already by implementing it as an
additional "exec git update-ref" in the todo list already?  I
found that, combined with the idea to use the "label" Taylor
mentioned, was the most brilliant part of this proposal.