Subject: Re: Date in git-commit output inconsistent with log.date format

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:14:38 -0700

Damien Regad <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was amending a commit message, and noticed the date in the output is
> printed in 'default' format, as shown below:
>
> $ git commit --amend --no-edit
> [x bf63ada92] Test commit
>  Date: Mon May 16 14:25:57 2022 +0200
>  1 file changed, 32 insertions(+)
>  create mode 100644 test.txt
>
> Since I have set log.date=iso, I was expecting the date to use the
> Is it intentional that the
> default format is applied instead ?

Yes.

That output is from "git commit", and is not from any command in the
"git log" family.  Besides, it way predates the introduction of
log.date configuration variable.

This could be a XY problem.  Can you tell us why you care?  What
motivates you to see that date (and optionally Author when the
author is different from the current user) output in a specific
format---it is meant for human consumption so "I run 'git commit' in
a script and scrape its output" would not be it.

Thanks.