Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 1/7] archive: optionally add "virtual" files

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:31:09 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So we currently leak permission bits of executable files into ZIP
>> archives, but not tar files. :-|  Normalizing those to 0755 would be
>> more consistent.

Today, I was scanning the "What's cooking" draft and saw too many
topics that are marked with "Expecting a reroll".  It turns out that
this "mode bits" thing will not be a blocker to make us wait for a
reroll of the topic, so let's handle it separately, before we
forget, as an independent fix outside the series under discussion.

Thanks.

--- >8 ---
Subject: [PATCH] archive: do not let on-disk mode leak to zip archives

When the "--add-file" option is used to add the contents from an
untracked file to the archive, the permission mode bits for these
files are sent to the archive-backend specific "write_entry()"
method as-is.  We normalize the mode bits for tracked files way
before we pass them to the write_entry() method; we should do the
same here.

This is not strictly needed for "tar" archive-backend, as it has its
own code to further clean them up, but "zip" archive-backend is not
so well prepared.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 archive.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/archive.c b/archive.c
index e29d0e00f6..12a08af531 100644
--- a/archive.c
+++ b/archive.c
@@ -342,7 +342,7 @@ int write_archive_entries(struct archiver_args *args,
 		else
 			err = write_entry(args, &fake_oid, path_in_archive.buf,
 					  path_in_archive.len,
-					  info->stat.st_mode,
+					  canon_mode(info->stat.st_mode),
 					  content.buf, content.len);
 		if (err)
 			break;
-- 
2.36.1-338-g1c7f76a54c