Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/1] contrib/vscode/: debugging with VS Code and gdb

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 09:43:24 -0700

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sometimes, we need to meet people where they are. If they choose to
> use a proprietary editor, we can help them use that to work on our
> project.

Yes, that's a good point to make.  I found that the thrust of the
suggestion made in the last part of Ævar's message was "if you are
user of VSCode, what we have in contrib/ may help your use of
debuggers in it", which was in line with the above.

>> Leaving aside completely *where* we should put such a thing I'd expect
>> something much more like:
>> 	
>> 	BEGIN QUOTE
>> 	
>> 	== Using debuggers ==
> ...
>> 	=== GUIs ===
> ...
>
> I was trying to make a similar recommendation in my review. The point is
> not "You should use a debugger, here is VS Code", but rather ...

Yup, I guess that makes three of us?

> I think that we might want a new file where Git developers can
> share best practices and custom workflows. Such a document could
> help contributors optimize their process to their own tastes based
> on the experience of others. I can see a long list of integrations
> with editors fitting in there, along with tips like "create a RAM
> disk for running tests".
>
> My proposed name for such a file is "WorkingOnGit" but it's not
> fantastic. Suggestions welcome.

Sounds like a good thing to have, but would there truly be hints and
tips so specific to this project, I have to wonder.  I do not think
we are in the business of making "how to hack on and debug a project
code that is mostly written in C and whose history is managed in
Git" tutorial for each IDE, so I am not sure how well it would fly
(not opposed to, but skeptical).

> Cogoni: In conclusion, I think that if you remove the change to
> MyFirstContribution.txt, then your patch can be merged pretty
> quickly (probably, that's not my decision). I expect this discussion
> about a potential "WorkingOnGit" file to continue, but if it comes
> to fruition, your section on VS Code would be welcome.

Yeah, the change to that document did feel like it was working at a
different level from other changes.

Thanks.