Subject: Re: Adding new/create & del/delete aliases into git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:57:58 -0800

Jasdeep Khalsa <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've been using the following aliases for a long time:
>
> del or delete = branch -D
> new or create = checkout -b
>
> And I feel these are good candidates as an addition into the core git
> API as they provide an easy way for new starters to understand the
> creating and deleting of branches - which is arguably one of the most
> common git operations.

He wants to see his "create" to create and "delete" to delete a
worktree, not a branch.  And she wants to see her "create" to create
and "delete" to delete a repository, not a branch.

Not everybody shares your "feel that these are common".

Aliases and synonyms are so personal and it is better to make sure
that we do not define more than necessary at the public level.
Otherwise we will end up squatting on more good names that people
may want to use for their own aliases.