Subject: Re: [Question] Unicode weirdness breaking tests on ZFS?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:03:42 -0800

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Should we conclude that the underlying os/zfs is not stable ?
> Things don't seem to be reproducable
>
> What Git needs here in t0050 is that stat("ä") behaves the same as stat("a¨"),
> when either "ä" or "a¨" exist on disk.
> The same for open() and all other file system functions.

We either need to see these two are treated as the same thing, or
these two are treated as two distict filesystem entities, just like
stat("a") and stat("b") are.  What we absolutely need is the
unification either always happens or never happens consistently.

I wonder what readdir() is returning.  After creat("ä") in an empty
directory, does readdir() in there return "ä" or "a¨?  And vice
versa?  Is this also inconsistent?

> ("ä" is the precomposed form "a¨" is the decomposed form,
>  typically both render to the same glyph on the screen,
>  and a hex dump or xxd will show what we had.
>  I just use this notation here for illustration)
>
> Should we contact the zfs developers ?