Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 0/3] am: support --empty=(die|drop|keep) option to handle empty patches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 21:46:02 -0800

Aleen 徐沛文 <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As per https://git-scm.com/docs/SubmittingPatches#sign-off:
>> 
>>    Please don’t hide your real name.
>> 
>> I suspect your real name is not Aleen, but something with x and w in
>> it.
>>
>
> I have used "Aleen" <[email-masked]> as my GitHub account to
> send this pull request, but the e-mail service disgusts me that it
> is slow to send emails to the domain "vger.kernel.org". So I
> decided to use another mail service to discuss, "Aleen 徐沛文"
> <[email-masked]> as you saw.
>
> In the open-source world, I usually signed off "Aleen" rather than
> "Aleen 徐沛文", and is that necessary to change?

Yes.

As the URL you were referred to explains, the sign-off procedure is
to keep track of provenance of the code, which is a more "legal"
formal requirement than just "I use this pseudonym everywhere".
When a big company comes to us, claiming that "this code is our
intellectual property stolen from us" and pointing at code added by
a patch from you, we do not want to see us in the position to have
to say "eh, somebody who uses psuedonym X signed DCO, but we do not
even know their real name".