Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] gitfaq: add entry about syncing working trees

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 14:09:42 -0800

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> Taking into consideration that people who are experiencing such
> corruption will likely include the name of the syncing service in
> their search query, would it make sense to mention some well-known
> services here in order to make it more likely that people will
> actually find this entry? Something like this, perhaps:
>
>     It is important not to use a cloud syncing service (such as DropBox,
>     FooBar, CowMoo, BuzzingBee, etc.) to sync any portion of a Git
>     repository...

I do agree that in a repository being actively modified, any
backup/sync solution that works per-file fashion would not work
well.  But is "cloud" a good word to characterise and group these
per-file backup/sync solution?  

Doesn't rsync work the same per-file fashion, and the only reason
why it is a better fit is because it is not continuous, not
attempting to "sync" while the repository is in use, until the user
explicitly says "OK, I am ready to go home, so let's stop working
here and send everything over to home with rsync"?

>> +* There are no additional worktrees enabled for your repository.
>
> I don't fully understand this restriction. Can you explain it (at
> least here in the email discussion)?
>
>> +* You are not using a separate Git directory outside of your repository root.
>
> Same question about this restriction.

As long as you know what you are doing and catch everything in
quiescent state, you should be fine, I would think.