Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] sparse index: fix use-after-free bug in cache_tree_verify()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:42:54 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure about that. There are really three levels of output from
> rebase - quiet, normal and verbose. I think passing "-q" suppresses 
> virtually all the output - there is no indication of which commits
> have been picked. As test appears to be comparing the output of the
> command for the sparse and non-spare case as a proxy for "it behaves
> the same for sparse and non-sparse checkouts/indexes" passing "-q" to
> rebase weakens the test considerably.

True.  Also because the behaviour of "rebase" using different
backends are sufficiently different, I no longer consider it a funny
inconsistency that one backend has to to use "-q" while the other
doesn't.

> Stolee indicated [1] that he is
> happy for us to drop the "-q" for the "--apply" case so I'd be
> inclined to go back to your corrected version of V2.

OK.  Can we have a v4 that is identical to "corrected" v2, then,
please?  That's easier than having to dig v2 up and remember and
apply the "correction" ;-).

Thanks.