Subject: Re: ANSI sequences produced on non-ANSI terminal

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 14:54:43 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 10:21:22PM -0700, The Grey Wolf wrote:
>
>> Anything else you want to add:
>> 	I searched google and the documentation as best I was able for
>> 	this, but I am unable to find anywhere that will let me disable
>> 	(or enable) colour for a particular term type.  Sometimes I'm on
>> 	an xterm, for which this is GREAT.  Sometimes I'm on a Wyse WY60,
>> 	for which this is sub-optimal.  My workaround is to disable colour
>> 	completely, which is reluctantly acceptable, but it would be nice
>> 	to say "If I'm on an xterm/aterm/urxvt/ansi terminal, enable
>> 	colour or cursor-positioning, otherwise shut it off."  If this
>> 	seems too much of a one-off to handle, fine, but most things that
>> 	talk fancy to screens are kind enough to allow an opt-out based on
>> 	terminal type. :)
>
> Git doesn't have any kind of list of terminals, beyond knowing that
> "dumb" should disable auto-color. It's possible we could expand that if
> there are known terminals that don't understand ANSI colors. I'm a bit
> wary of having a laundry list of obscure terminals, though.
>
> If we built against ncurses or some other terminfo-aware library we
> could outsource that, but that would be a new dependency. I'm hesitant
> to do that even as an optional dependency given the bang-for-the-buck
> (and certainly making it require would be right out).

I was wondering if Gray Wolf can run screen on the Wyse, and then
wouldn't git see TERM=screen which is pretty much ANSI if I am not
mistaken ;-)?