Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 16/21] mingw: try to work around issues with the test cleanup

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 13:10:46 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> In any case, your patch clearly undoes whatever canary for gc issues
> df4c0d1a792 was trying to put into the test-lib, but didn't say so in
> its commit message.
>
> So I figured it was something that was missed at the time, and that I
> should send a quick E-Mail to both authors to see if anyone cared, maybe
> nobody does.
>
> It's just something I ran into while reviewing test-lib.sh for some
> unrelated changes I was making...

Good eyes.

I am not quite sure if we are better off catching a transitory
failure, which could go away when retried in 5 seconds, to remove
the test directory (in which case, the change in question is a clear
regression from what df4c0d1a (test-lib: abort when can't remove
trash directory, 2017-04-20) intended to catch), or we only want to
catch permanent failures (in which case the patch in question is a
clear improvement).

In either way, the decision and the rationale behind it should be in
the log message.

Thanks.