Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/13] WIP Partial clone part 1: object filtering

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:00:32 +0900

Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Jeff Hostetler <[email-masked]>
>
> I've been working with Jonathan Tan to combine our partial clone
> proposals.  This patch series represents a first step in that effort
> and introduces an object filtering mechanism to select unwanted
> objects.
>
> [1] traverse_commit_list and list-objects is extended to allow
>     various filters.
> [2] rev-list is extended to expose filtering.  This allows testing
>     of the filtering options.  And can be used later to predict
>     missing objects before commands like checkout or merge.
> [3] pack-objects is extended to use filtering parameters and build
>     packfiles that omit unwanted objects.
>
> This patch series lays the ground work for subsequent parts which
> will extend clone, fetch, fetch-pack, upload-pack, fsck, and etc.

OK, thanks for working well together.  So does this (1) build on
Jonathan's fsck-squelching series, or (2) ignores that and builds
filtering first, potentially leaving the codebase to a broken state
where it can create fsck-unclean repository until Jonathan's series
is rebased on top of this, or (3) something else?  [*1*]

I also saw a patch marked as "this is from Jonathan's earlier work",
taking the authorship (which to me implies that the changes were
extensive enough), so I am a bit at loss envisioning how this piece
fits in the bigger picture together with the other piece.

[Footnote]

*1* Not having the answer to this question does bother me, but it is
    perfectly fine if the answer is (2), especially while the series
    is in a WIP state.