Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] rebase: turn on progress option by default for format-patch

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 08:45:54 +0900

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> ...
> That explains why you want to pass "-q" in the other hunk; to
> countermand the explicit --progress here. But if we separate the two as
> I mentioned above, you'd want logic more like:
>
>   if test -t 2 && test "$GIT_QUIET" != "t"
> 	git_format_patch_opt="$git_format_patch_opt --progress"
>   fi

This looks like a sensible line of thought.  Kevin, do you want to
try this again with the "explicit --progress option" approach?  I
think the gist of the v1 review is that everybody agrees that the
end goal of showing a progress eye-candy from a long-running
"format-patch" phase in a "rebase" is a good idea, but it is dubious
"format-patch" should show it in cases other than when --progress is
explicitly asked for.

Thanks.