Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: add note about ignoring --no-create-reflog

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 15:11:57 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> This might be nitpicking, but it's _not_ ignored. It still negates an
> earlier "--create-reflog". It is only that it does not override the
> decision to create a reflog caused by the setting of
> core.logallrefupdates.

OK, rolling them all into one, how about this as an amend?

-- >8 --
From: Cornelius Weig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 23:07:27 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] doc: add note about ignoring '--no-create-reflog'

The commands git-branch and git-tag accept the '--create-reflog'
option, and create reflog even when core.logallrefupdates
configuration is explicitly set not to.

On the other hand, the negated form '--no-create-reflog' is accepted
as a valid option but has no effect (other than overriding an
earlier '--create-reflog' on the command line). This silent noop may
puzzle users.  To communicate that this is a known limitation, add a
short note in the manuals for git-branch and git-tag.

Signed-off-by: Cornelius Weig <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-branch.txt | 3 +++
 Documentation/git-tag.txt    | 3 +++
 2 files changed, 6 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-branch.txt b/Documentation/git-branch.txt
index 5516a47b54..102e426fd8 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-branch.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-branch.txt
@@ -91,6 +91,9 @@ OPTIONS
 	based sha1 expressions such as "<branchname>@\{yesterday}".
 	Note that in non-bare repositories, reflogs are usually
 	enabled by default by the `core.logallrefupdates` config option.
+	The negated form `--no-create-reflog` does not override the
+	default, even though it overrides `--create-reflog` that appears
+	earlier on the command line.
 
 -f::
 --force::
diff --git a/Documentation/git-tag.txt b/Documentation/git-tag.txt
index 2ac25a9bb3..fd7eeae075 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-tag.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-tag.txt
@@ -152,6 +152,9 @@ This option is only applicable when listing tags without annotation lines.
 --create-reflog::
 	Create a reflog for the tag. To globally enable reflogs for tags, see
 	`core.logAllRefUpdates` in linkgit:git-config[1].
+	The negated form `--no-create-reflog` does not override the
+	default, even though it overrides `--create-reflog` that appears
+	earlier on the command line.
 
 <tagname>::
 	The name of the tag to create, delete, or describe.
-- 
2.11.0-800-g4bf73cb6b2