Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/4] core.abbrev: raise the default abbreviation to 12 hexdigits

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:05:34 -0700

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 29.09.2016 um 01:30 schrieb Junio C Hamano:
>> As Peff said, responding in a thread started by Linus's suggestion
>> to raise the default abbreviation to 12 hexdigits:
>
> This is waayy too large for a new default. The vast majority of
> repositories is smallish. For those, the long sequences of hex digits
> are an uglification that is almost unbearable.
>
> I know that kernel developers are important, but their importance has
> long been outnumbered by the anonymous and silent masses of users.
>
> Personally, I use 8 digits just because it is a "rounder" number than
> 7, but in all of my repositories 7 would still work just as well.

Yes, "git log --oneline" looks somewhat different and strange for
me, too ;-)

I am sure I'll get used to it if I keep using it, but I suspect that
I'd be irritated as I find myself typing 'q' more and more often to
"less -S" that is automatically invoked when I do "git log --oneline
master.." to see what commits are on my current topic branch.