Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] pull: handle --log=<n>

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 15:10:50 -0700

Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've actually done it differently while implementing:
>
> 1) Make test_commit recognize --tags and stop creating tags unless
>    specified
> 2) while ! prove --state=save,failed {
>        Find and fix tests that now need --tags
>    }

That was what I feared.  The result of that process is the hardest
to reason about and review.

> For the actual patch series I'll add -p the changes slightly
> differently:
>
> 1/N: Make test_commit recognize a --tags parameter but not change
> behaviour.

Make test will pass after this one.

> 2/N - N-1/N: Add --tags where necesary (or other fixes as appropriate)
> N/N: Only write tags when --tags is passed to test_commit.

And untouched ones will continue passing.

Only when you remove --tags from ones that need (i.e. the caller
needs to create the necessary tags), we will see a patch and unless
there is mistake in the conversion, the result should pass.