Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: Add target to build PDF manpages

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:38:27 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thomas referencing reading the man page offline, made me wonder
> why you wouldn't read the man pages itself as they can also be
> carried around offline. But the striking point is "on an iPad", which
> doesn't offer you the convenience of a shell etc, but pdf is fine to read
> there. Also you can add comments to pdfs more easily that html pages
> I'd guess.
>
> So the patch makes sense to me now. It's just a use case I'm personally
> not interested in for now, but I don't oppose it as is.

Well, my comment was not about opposing to it, but was about
questioning the usefulness of it, iow, who would
benefit from having this patch in my tree?

I didn't see (and I still do not quite see) why people would want to
have separate pdf files for all the subcommands (instead of say an
.epub or .pdf that binds all the man pages and perhaps user-manual,
just like we do for .texi/.info).