Subject: Re: [RFC] git submodule purge

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 08:55:03 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think there should be a command that is able to remove those
> dangling repositories if the following conditions are met:
>
> - the submodule should not be initialized
>
> - the submodule should not have an entry in .gitmodules in the
>   currently checked out revision
>
> - the submodule should not contain any commits that are not
>   upstream
>
> - the submodule should not contain other submodules that do not
>   meet those conditions

I do not have a strong opinion on whether it is a good idea to make
it possible to remove the .git/modules/*, but should it be a
separate subcommand, or should it be an option to the 'deinit'
subcommand?

Also, how would you apply the safety to a repository without
"upstream", i.e. the authoritative copy?