Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 00/31] Support multiple checkouts

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:05:53 -0700

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy  <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>       fd = open(git_path("repos/%s/gitdir", id), O_RDONLY);
>>> ...
>>> -     while (path[len - 1] == '\n' || path[len - 1] == '\r')
>>> +     while (len && (path[len - 1] == '\n' || path[len - 1] == '\r'))
>>>               len--;
>>
>> Do we anticipate (or even allow/endorse) that end users will edit
>> this file with a random editor?  And, to a lessor degree, the same
>> question on the reading side.  Do we encourage users to directly
>> read from this file to learn something about their repository?
>>
>> If we are the only tool that writes into this file, and if we are
>> the only tool to be used to read (and use) the contents of this
>> file, I do not see the need to cater to LF vs CRLF line endings.
>
> No I don't expect users to go and change these files by themselves.
> But once directory structure is documented, other tools might appear
> and scripts on Windows may just append CRLF by default.

Essentially you are encouraging them to edit this file with a random
editor, bypassing Git, then.