Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/9] pack-bitmap: fix various pseudo-merge bugs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2026 10:49:40 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> [Note to the maintainer: this series has been rebased onto the current
>> tip of master, which is 7760f83b597 (Merge branch
>> 'jc/neuter-sideband-fixup', 2026-05-11) at the time of writing].
>
> A note like this is very much appreciated, but please also state the
> reason why the rebase was necessary.  "Because the current tip of
> 'master' has advanced" is not a good reason.  "The previous
> synthetic base was made by merging topic X and topic Y on
> then-current 'master', but both have graduated" is a so-so ok
> reason.  "Because the updated implementation of this series uses
> facilities that appeared in recent 'master' that come from topics A
> and B, which the previous iteration did not use" and "Recent updates
> to 'master' brings in conflicting changes from topic C" are
> excellent reasons.

Forgot one important case.  "It turns out that this fix is important
so it was rebased to be applicable to an older maintenance release M"
would be very much appreciated as well.

Perhaps after coming up with a few more good reasons, we should
describe them in Documentation/SubmittingPatches somewhere.