Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 0/4] format-patch: add cover-letter-format option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2026 10:20:41 -0700

Mirko Faina <[email-masked]> writes:

> Squashed the documentation changes to their relevant patch and added a
> new format preset "chronological".
>
> Thank you for the reviews
>
> [1/4] format-patch: move cover letter summary generation (Mirko Faina)
> [2/4] format-patch: add ability to use alt cover format (Mirko Faina)
> [3/4] format-patch: add "chronological" format for cover (Mirko Faina)
> [4/4] format-patch: add commitListFormat config (Mirko Faina)

By the way, we have merged the topic to 'next' on March 9th already,
so it is a bit awkward to see a wholesale replacement series.

We could revert the merge of the previous attempt out of 'next' and
queue the new iteration in 'seen', but I think the major changes in
this iteration are

 (1) the "log:" prefix is omitted (which I think is a bad change
     that we do not want),

 (2) we no longer consider the option an extended boolean "use the
     modern customized format [Yes/no/use this format]?" (which I
     think is OK), and

 (3) the default modern format has a name (which is OK, even though
     "chronological" may be a mouthful to say).

and associated documentation and test updates, so at this point,
making incremental changes on top of what we already have in 'next'
may be more appropriate.  The incremental changes are easier to
justify as well.