Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Make 'trust_executable_bit' repository-scoped

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2026 15:03:54 -0700

Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi drona,
>
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>  > There were discussions on pros and cons moving global recipients of
>  > configuration values into a dynamically allocated strucrure...
>  > and excellent pieces of advice have been given by Phillip Wood.
>  > If anything, a change like this should ask for input from him.
>
> That makes sense. I think you should CC him whenever you've thoroughly 
> polished the patch or when you encounter unresolved issues.
>
>  > This "v2" applies to a mythical codebase where trust_executable_bit
>  > is somehow a member in the settings structure, which I do not think
>  > we have.
>
> Given Junio's observation, it seems this iteration is targeting an 
> incorrect or non-existent codebase structure.
>
> I'll hold off on further reviews of the specific implementation details
> until the base codebase issue is sorted out and the structural design
> (incorporating Phillip's previous advice) is settled.

I think what the author called v2 was actually [2/N] where the
previous version was treated as [1/N] of the same series.  The line
I noticed was strange in my response is probably correcting what the
previous one did, which is not what we want to see.  It probably is
similar to https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

We prefer the patch authors to pretend to be a perfect developer who
never made any mistakes while writing their series.

This unfortunately is a recurring theme among new developers.

https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/