Subject: Re: ps/object-info-bits-cleanup

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2026 09:35:27 -0800

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2026 at 02:21:34PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> * ps/object-info-bits-cleanup (2026-01-26) 3 commits
>>  - odb: drop gaps in object info flag values
>>  - builtin/fsck: fix flags passed to `odb_has_object()`
>>  - builtin/backfill: fix flags passed to `odb_has_object()`
>> 
>>  A couple of bugs in use of flag bits around odb API has been
>>  corrected, and the flag bits reordered.
>> 
>>  Comments?
>>  source: <[email-masked]>
>
> The discussion on this series has wound down by now, but I'm not sure
> whether anything actionable came out of it. The biggest question was
> around whether or not to use an enum as parameter or an unsigned
> integer, but there wasn't really a clear conclusion.
>
> Should I reroll this series to convert it to an enum, or should I keep
> this as-is and then we can merge this series down?

I do not think we want to go the route that was proposed in
<[email-masked]>, but it's your call.  As I said in
<[email-masked]>, it would make sense to change
parameters that functions that deal with these constants to take
enum instead of unsigned, if we were to turn "#define" into enum.
It can be done on top as a clean-up if the theme of this topic were
something more substantial, but this topic largely being a clean-up
itself, I am not sure what the optics would be to have a clean-up
topic that requires further clean-up ;-).