Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/1] replay: add --revert option to reverse commit changes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2025 21:59:22 -0800

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's also called out pretty explicitly in the manual:
> ```
> When calling `git replay`, one does not need to specify a range of
> commits to replay using the syntax `A..B`; any range expression will
> do:

When we use the phrase "any range expression" to refer to what
prepare_revision_walk() produces, it by definition means we only
deal with a connected set.

It often is very handy to allow saying "master..topic1 topic2" or
"^master topic1 topic2" or "topic1 topic2 --not master" to mean
"commits on these branches", of course, and there are many such
useful use cases that do not require disjoint set (and that is why
we survived without any disjoint set support on "git log" side,
except for individually specifying commits and say "--no-walk",
which is still technically a "set" but not very useful one when the
number of commits you individually have to specify becomes more than
a handful).

It only means that the documentation needs to be updated if we ever
want to introduce an extended form of the command line syntax that
allows users to specify an unconnected set of commits.