Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] completion: complete "git -<TAB>" with short options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2025 13:59:22 -0800

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> know what those short options are good for.  E.g. I just learned from
> this patch that the main git command accepts -p and -P options, but I
> have no idea what they are doing.)
>
> So overall I'm somewhat negative on this patch and in general on the
> direction it takes us, but if we do want to go in this direction, then
> it will definitely need more justification than this.

Ah, yes, I totally forgot earlier discussions we had long ago, e.g.,

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Completing potential values for a single letter short option is one
thihng, but completing single letter short options themselves,
unless the completion script can offer a short-help somehow, e.g.,

    $ git -<TAB><TAB>
    -C (chdir there before running the command)
    -p (enable pager)
    ...

I agree that it would not be of much use.