Subject: Re: [PATCH] osxkeychain: avoid incorrectly skipping store operation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2025 12:28:15 -0800

"Koji Nakamaru via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> +/*
> + * NOTE: We could use functions in strbuf.h and/or wrapper.h, but those
> + * introduce significant dependencies. Therefore, we define simplified
> + * versions here to keep this code self-contained.
> + */

Sorry, but I do not quite understand this comment.  The program is
shipped as a part of Git, and using these functions and linking with
libgit.a may pull strbuf.o and some other *.o files out of libgit.a
to link with git-credential-osxkeychain.o to produce the executable,
but how can that be "significant dependencies"?  For anybody who is
building git-credential-osxkeychain, the necessary sources come for
free.

It is not like we are forcing git-credential-osxkeychain to link
with a shared object libgit.so and making git-credential-osxkeychain
depend on it, or anything like that, which may require consumers of
binary distribution of git-credential-osxkeychain to also install
another package that has libgit.so in it (which is likely to be the
"git" package).  Even if it were the case (which is not), what good
would it be to have git-credential-osxkeychain on your system
without having git on the same system?