Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/5] builtin/config: special-case retrieving colors without a key

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2025 09:29:11 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If we are willing to handle this as a special case anyway, I wonder
>> if it can easily be arranged to take this as a(nother) special case.
>> 
>>     $ git config get --type=color --default="reset"
>> 
>> I.e., instead of (or in addition to) "if the config key is empty",
>> special case "if the config key is not given", which may be slightly
>> more intuitive.
>> 
>> But even without it, what is presented is a vast improvement enough
>> ;-)
>
> We probably could, yeah. But it starts to become even weirder than it
> already is, so I'd honestly just leave it as-is for now :) I doubt that
> there's too many users out there that care about this anyway.

Yes, unless we can require "--default" to be spelled "--translate-this"
only in that specific use case (which we don't want to), the keyless
case would be even more strange than the empty key case, so I am
happy with what we see in this series.

Thanks.