Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/3] permit -h/--help-all in more scenarios

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2025 21:53:22 -0700

"D. Ben Knoble" <[email-masked]> writes:

> This series enables --help-all outside of repository contexts,

I've been familiar with "git commit -h" (and commands other than
"commit") outside a repository, but did not even know that "git
commit --help-all" didn't work outside.  For commands that use
parse-options, these come from the same source of informatino, so it
does not make any sense for one to work and the other to refuse to
work.  Good.

> and
> allows -h with other arguments (without breaking existing ls-remote/grep
> usage).

I somehow thought we already talked you out of this.

Do you mean something like "git add -h foo" and "git add -h -N foo"
would say "'git add foo' would add the current contents in foo to
the index" and "'git add -N foo' would make the index aware of the
path foo without actually adding its contents (yet)"?  I do not think
it makes much sense to behave exactly the same as "git add -h" when
the user says "git add -h foo" or "git add -h -N foo", as if we
didn't even see the extra things on the command line.

Thanks.