Subject: Re: [PATCH] credential: warn about git-credential-store [RFC]

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 15:41:05 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2025 at 07:48:06PM +0000, M Hickford via GitGitGadget wrote:
>
>> From: M Hickford <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> git-credential-store saves secrets unencrypted on disk.
>> 
>> Warn the user before they type their password, suggesting alternative
>> credential helpers.
>> 
>> An alternative could be to warn in "credential-store store". A
>> disadvantage is that the user wouldn't see the warning until after they
>> typed their password, which is less helpful. The warning would appear
>> again every time the user authenticated, which feels too frequently.
>
> I certainly don't disagree that "store" is relatively insecure,
> but...who are we trying to help here? We do not turn on "store" by
> default, so anybody who is running it would had to have explicitly
> configured it as a helper. And there's a big warning already at the top
> of the manpage.

I buy this argument.  I think an earlier comment by brian was on a
similar wavelength.

Thanks.