Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 3/3] reftable: prevent 'update_index' changes after adding records

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2025 13:57:34 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Nit: it's unnecessary to pass write options. Other than that the test
>> looks good to me, and this nit isn't worth a reroll.
>
> This write_options opts is used later in this call.
>
> 	err = reftable_new_stack(&st, dir, &opts);
>
> and "git grep reftable_new_stack" finds many hits, almost all in
> t/unit-tests/ hierarchy, only two among many of them passing NULL as
> the "use the default set of options" signal.  And majority of them
> initialize their opts like so:
>
> 	struct reftable_write_options opts = { 0 };
>
> So I agree that this one should pass NULL to be more explicit that
> we do not exercise any special features from the API, but so should
> many other existing callers that pass such meaningless &opts, I
> would think.

I may have been vague, but what I meant was that cleaning it up to
pass NULL when &opts is unnecessary can and probably should be left
outside the scope of this miniseries, and done with a clean-up patch
that is separate.

Thanks.