Subject: Re: [PATCH] connect: address -Wsign-compare warnings

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2025 09:26:32 -0800

Mike Hommey <[email-masked]> writes:

> Most of the warnings were about loop variables being declared as ints
> with a condition using a size_t, whereby switching the variable to
> size_t fixes the warning.
>
> One other case was comparing the result of strlen to an int passed
> as an argument, which turns out could just as well be passed as a
> size_t, albeit trickling to other functions.

As long as the blast radius is limited (like this one, which most of
the cascades were within the callchain of file-scope statics), and
the changes of type is going in the right direction (in this case, I
see all are using size_t for length that may come from or compared
with the result of strlen(), which falls into that category), such a
change is very much welcomed.

Even if the primary objective is to squelch the -Wsign-compare and
even if we are talking about a line in packet_reader object, which
would not exceed 64k bytes and using size_t is way overkill, that
is.  I personally do not think -Wsign-compare cleanliness is buying
us all that much, compared to the amount of code churn.  But this
one is well within the level that I can tolerate ;-).

Will queue.  Thanks.