Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.48.1 and friends

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 17:28:12 -0800

<[email-masked]> writes:

> I will not be able to package this. The reason is that only official commits
> are
> permitted in the highly regulated customer base that I have to support.

Well, you probably want to be a bit more careful.

Think what *exactly* is *this* in "package this" in your message,
for example.

Will it be the resulting checkout of "git clone --single" of that
tag?  Then you can go there and say "make", and as Dscho explained,
what Dscho wrote in DEF_VER does not matter.  The tag that points at
that checked out commit is v2.47.2 and that is what resulting "git
version" would say.

Will it be the tarball extract from the git-2.47.2.tar.gz that is
available at https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/?  Then you
can go there and say "make", and what Dscho wrote in DEF_VER does
not matter, either, because the official tarball contains the
'version' file that says "2.47.2" and that is the version used by
the resulting "git version".