Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/2] doc: merge-tree: provide a commit message

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2024 13:42:31 -0700

Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]> writes:

> Provide a commit message in the example command.
>
> The command will hang since it is waiting for a commit message on
> stdin.  Which is usable but not straightforward enough since this is
> example code.
>
> Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
> ---

Makes sense.

> -       NEWCOMMIT=$(git commit-tree $NEWTREE -p $BRANCH1 -p $BRANCH2)
> +       NEWCOMMIT=$(git commit-tree $NEWTREE -F $FILE_WITH_COMMIT_MESSAGE \
> +           -p $BRANCH1 -p $BRANCH2)
>         git update-ref $BRANCH1 $NEWCOMMIT

The shell should know, after seeing $FILE_WITH_COMMIT_MESSAGE and
encountering the end of line, that you haven't completed telling
what you started telling it.  Do you need " \" at the end of the
line?

I know that it was suggested to use a file with message, and I agree
with the suggestion, but then I wonder if we want to be more
complete and show that a file gets prepared in the example to avoid
making readers wonder where $FILE_WITH_COMMIT_MESSAGE comes from?

E.g.,

        vi message.txt
        NEWCOMMIT=$(git comimt-tree $NEWTREE -F message.txt
                    -p $BRANCH1 -p $BRANCH2)

or something like that?

Other than that, looking good.

Thanks.