Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 5/5] ref: add symlink ref content check for files backend

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 16:02:44 -0700

shejialuo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Because we consider deprecating writing the symbolic links and for
> reading, we may or may not deprecate. We first need to asses whether
> symbolic links may still be used. So, add a new fsck message
> "symlinkRef(INFO)" to let the user be aware of this information.

If that is the intention, the the documentation entry is somewhat
out of line.

> +`symlinkRef`::
> +	(INFO) A symref uses the symbolic link. This kind of symref may
> +	be considered ERROR in the future when totally dropping the
> +	symlink support.

    A symbolic link is used as a symref.  Report to the
    [email-masked] mailing list if you see this error, as we
    are assessing the feasibility of dropping the support to use
    symbolic links as a symref.

But quite honestly, I do not think it is necessary to deprecate (let
alone remove) the support for reading side.