Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH v3 0/6] t: port reftable/stack_test.c to the unit testing framework

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 12:26:36 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> On the other hand, you should realize that every topic first is
> queued to 'seen' and only after it proves that it plays well with
> other topics in flight, it is considered to advance to 'next'.  So
> if you conflict with other topics that makes you conflict when
> merged to either 'next' or 'seen', you'd be better off creating a
> more suitable base than 'master' and then build on top of it.

$ git log --first-parent --oneline \
  cp/unit-test-reftable-stack..next -- reftable/stack_test.c

tells me that Patrick's "concurrent compaction" and "drop generic"
are the big two topics that touch reftable/stack_test.c file that
you are removing.  As the former already depends on the latter,
it may make sense to 

    $ git checkout -b cp/unit-test-reftable-stack master
    $ git merge ps/reftable-concurrent-compaction

to prepare the base, and then rebuild these patches on top of it.
There is another topic jk/mark-unused-parameters that touches the
same file, but the conflict it causes is trivial.

In any case, the cover letter is a good place to describe how you
prepared such a custom base (as opposed to "the patches in this
topic apply cleanly to any recent tip of 'master', as the topic
touches a relatively dormant calm area of the code base", in which
case you do not say anything).

Thanks.