Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 3/3] run-command: show prepared command

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 10:50:33 -0700

Ian Wienand <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 08:29:21AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> ... if the reader truly understands "the alias gives the command and
>> its leading arguments, to which the invocation can supply even more
>> arguments", the reader wouldn't be writing such a command line to
>> begin with, no?
>> 
>> So I find the example a bit suboptimal.  Hopefully additional
>> explanation in patch 2/3 stressed on that point well enough with
>> much more stress than it talks about the implementation detail of
>> using "sh -c" and "$@", so that readers who read it would not even
>> dream of writing such an alias in the first place.
>
> Right; I was seeing this in a more convoluted way via our tool but
> essentially the same issue.  I was just looking for the simplest thing
> that also gave the syntax error output, which I thought was something
> people might search for (the "unexpected "$@" stuff).
>
> Should I just leave as is?

If I found as-is would be good enough, I wouldn't have been
commenting on this.

Even in this third iteration, I still didn't see the added
documentation talk about the principle behind the design, i.e. what
you write after the "git your-alias" are appended to the command
line to be used as additional arguments.