Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] advice: add "all" option to disable all hints

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:28:03 -0700

James Liu <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch series adds an "all" advice hint type that can be used as a
> convenience option for disabling all advice hints.

Hmph.  I thought this was rejected already and not in so distant
past, but I am not finding a discussion thread in the archive.

The design to support the advice.* variables to let individual ones
to be squelched, without allowing "all", is very much deliberate.

A user may think they are familiar with all the advices already, but
with "all", they'll never get a chance to learn new ones added after
they set the configuration.  Looking from the other direction, a new
advice message is a way for us to tell our users something important
for them to know.  For example, we may plan to improve a high-level
Porcelain command so that it will eventually error out when given an
input that used to be accepted but behaved in a way that newbies
felt confusing.  In the first step of such a transition, we will
introduce a new (and hopefully better) way to achieve what the user
wants to do, and add an advice message to tell the user, when they
trigger the codepath whose behaviour will change in the future, in
the old way that will eventually go away.

Do not close that communication channel on us.

Thanks.