Subject: Re: [PATCH 09/22] t/t4*: avoid redundant uses of cat

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 16:49:38 -0800

"Beat Bolli" <[email-masked]> writes:

> @@ -786,7 +786,7 @@ test_expect_success 'am takes patches from a Pine mailbox' '
>  	rm -fr .git/rebase-apply &&
>  	git reset --hard &&
>  	git checkout first &&
> -	cat pine patch1 | git am &&
> +	git am pine patch1 &&
>  	test_path_is_missing .git/rebase-apply &&
>  	git diff --exit-code main^..HEAD
>  '

I am not so certain about this one.

We can say "sed can read from the file listed on the command line,
or it can read from its standard input, so we can use whichever is
convenient for us", as we are not in the business of testing "sed"
that is supplied by the system.

On the other hand, the ability of "git am" to read either from the
files listed on the command line or from the standard input is not a
given.  It is one of the many aspects of how "git am" behaves that
we are testing.  By changing a test that feeds the contents of the
mailboxes from the standard input to instead have the command read
these mailbox files listed on the command line, this changes what
gets tested.

All other changes in the file look good to me.

Thanks.