Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] sequencer: remove use of hardcoded comment char

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 09:16:01 +0900

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> As far as I can see those remaining instances are all to do with the
> '#' that separates a merge subject line from its parents. I don't
> think we need to complicate things anymore by respecting
> core.commentchar there as the '#' is not denoting a commented line, it
> is being used as an intra-line separator instead.

It is unfortunate that the format of the file needs an intra-line
separator in the first place, but I tend to agree with you that the
comment-line-char would be a terrible fit there.  '#' or any
replacement character at the beginning of a line is easy to spot as
a signal that the line in its entirety is commented out, but it is
much harder to eyeball-spot a single punctuation character in the
middle of a line.  If we do not have to look for a different
character depending on the comment-line-char setting, it would make
the system (slightly) easier to use.

> I agree that I don't see much point in respecting core.commentchar in
> the TODO file as unlike a commit message a legitimate non-commented
> line will never begin with '#'. Unfortunately I think we're committed
> to respecting it - see 180bad3d10f (rebase -i: respect
> core.commentchar, 2013-02-11)

Yeah, the ship has long sailed.

> I think splitting the changes so that we have one patch that fixes the
> TODO file generation and another that fixes the commit message
> generation for fixup commands would be best.

Yes, it would be great.

Thanks.