Subject: Re: 'git stash push -- {dir}' puts files in stash that are outside of {dir}

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:14:20 -0700

Yuri <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 7/26/23 10:29, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Are there configuration variables set to affect the behaviour of the
>> "git stash" command in your environment that I do not have (I have
>> nothing in "git config -l | grep stash" output), which may be
>> affecting why it does not reproduce for me?
>
>
> "git config -l | grep stash" doesn't print anything.

Another thing to try.  The command internally uses some internal
form of "git diff" to find out what to save and reset to the HEAD
version in the working tree, so if you have an exotic configuration
variable that affects the way "diff" behaves, it _could_ trigger a
symptom like that (needless to say, the internal invocation of "git
diff" should have prepared for such an end-user configuration and
explicitly countermanded it, but people add configuration variables
after a command was implemented without thinking the ramification
through and especially when they are rarely used ones that do not
usually appear on Git developers' radar, such a bad interaction can
go unnoticed for a long time).