Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] wrapper: use trace2 counters to collect fsync stats

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:31:45 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I also spotted this change since v1:
>
> - Rename trace2 counters to use "-" (not "_") as inter-word separators.
>
> Since I do not seem to be able to find any review comments regarding
> the variable naming in the v1's thread, let's ask stakeholders.
>
> Are folks involved in the trace2 subsystem (especially Jeff
> Hostetler---already CC:ed---who presumably has the most stake in it)
> OK with the naming convention of the multi-word variable?  This is
> the first use of multi-word variable name in tr2_ctr, and thus will
> establish whatever convention you guys want to use.  I do have a
> slight preference of "writeout-only" over "writeout_only" but that
> is purely from visual appearance.  If there is a desire to keep the
> names literally reusable as identifiers in some languages used to
> postprocess trace output, or something, that might weigh
> differently.

I heard absolutely nothing since I asked the above question last
week, so I'll take the absense of response as absense of interest in
the way how names are spelled.

Therefore, let me make a unilateral declaration here ;-)  The trace2
counters with multi-word names are to be named using "-" as their
inter-word separators.  Any patch that adds new counters that do not
follow the convention will silently dropped on the floor from now on.

Let's move this patch forward by merging to 'next' soonish.

Thanks.